Just another WordPress.com weblog

I am a Marathon-err

Hots and Fits!!

I am officially a marathon runner!!

I ran 42.195 am on May the 2010 in exactly 5 hours, 9 minutes and 15 seconds.

Here are my splits:


I am really, really, really happy with my results. I am actually very impressed – I thought I would finish in about 5 hours and 40 minutes, as I mentioned in my last post…


Here is my recap…

I got to the race about 35 minutes before the start (start time was 9 am). To my surprise, I saw a large amount of people standing in line to go to the bathrooms and to put their bags in the clock rooms. I say surprised because when I ran the half marathon (2,500 participants) there were tons more toilets as opposed to the marathon (8,000 participants). I don’t know how was in charge, but they may want to consider this next year…

My colleague’s friend was also running the marathon so I met up with them. We spent 25 minutes waiting to use the bathroom. Very bad to start with. I went to the bathroom about 3 times before the half marathon. Oh the nerves. My friend gave me 1 serving of GU shots or blocks or whatever they are called. She is American so she had plenty but it was my first time taking these.

So, around 2 minutes to 9 I ran to put my bag at the clock rooms, and then my friend and I start jogging towards the starting line. Yes, that was our warm up. It was quite hectic there because there were other races that were starting (family walks, dog walks, eco runs, blah blah blah) so until we made it to the starting line, it took us almost 6 minutes. Better than the half marathon (took me almost 12 minutes).

The good thing about the long wait was that I honestly didn’t have time to get nervous….I kind of just started running without thinking too much about it.

My friend was much faster than me but we stuck together the first couple of minutes. I told her to leave me because it was not fair for her. A few minutes later my mother called so I chatted to her till about the 4th kilometer. This was my first time ever running and cell phone chatting. I have been quite experimental this marathon…Well, it worked quite well, and again, it really made me relax. I wasn’t that nervous.

First 20 kilometers were very boring. I had the Lady entertaining me, as well as mis musicos favoritos. I noticed that I was going faster than I had planned, but I felt very, very good so I didn’t want to stop. My padres called again around 22nd Kilometer. This time I was not able to talk too much, so I listened.

Oh – I should mention that there was a water/fuel station every 2.5 KM. So I grabbed two cups of something every time. Or one cup. But mostly two. They were only half full or so. Water or energy drinks. Also had bananas. A LOT OF BANANAS. Sometimes dipped in salt, sometimes dipped in sugar. And my gels, of course….

The 25-28th Kilometer is when things started to suck a little. It doesn’t really look like it on my stats, but it sure as hell felt like it. So. I played some weird mental game where I would wait till the last 10 K to chat to my mama and then maybe do some walking. At the 28th I saw a mother of my student who accompanied her husband (she was being the supportive wife on the bikes) and she was really nice and awesome so she was providing some mental support, too!

Reached the 32 point, called the madre, who told me she was on her way. This got my spirits very high. My madre hates my exercise habits. It pisses her off. She hates my eating habits too. She would rather have me not exercise, and eat what she wants me to eat (cakes, pastries, all-edible-carbs…you get the idea). SO when she told me she was going to be at the finish line, I knew I was pushing it best as I can.

But it was hard. I had to put on my SOS Playlist, and really try to pump my arms. That was hard. My legs were killing me. Literally. And my big toe on the left foot was hurting. A lot. I knew I was going to see a huge bruise there when I finish.

More bananas, more energy drinks, last gel…

I got to the 38th KM and started to push it. Not mad push it, because I didn’t want to risk it, but I pushed it best I could.

I got to the last turn and could see the finish line, so I sprinted best I could, and even stopped right before the finish to give a high five to my little bro. He was ecstatic.


I then proceeded to eat something (apple+coconut cake which I didn’t eat during the race as I had originally planned), consumed 1/2 liter of water, changed because the amount of salt present on my body and my clothes was unbelievable, and changed to my impanera flipflops.


All my people on facebook thought it was pathetic, but my feet were dying!!


The Aftermath –

I was mostly okay right after, besides sore hams and quads, and the bruised big toe.

However, I woke up on Monday and something was seriously wrong with my left foot. It felt like some torn tendons again. How do I know that? Because I have had this injury many times before. Its like my chronic injury. My friend suggested I roll a tennis ball on the muscle. Apparently that helps relief the pain. So, I have been trying that, and so far so good. I have just been doing Insanity Core Cardio and Balance and ChaLEAN Extreme.


I shall be back later this week with pics and some more fitness news!!


Off to watch how La Liga is going to end up!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s