Get Hot and Fit: Winter Running Checklist
Its Friday and it started off exceptionally well. I was out on a run this morning. -7C and all, I hit the pavement (as opposed to the road which was covered in snow and ice) for 5.5 KM. This is The Hot and Fit moment of the day. Wait no, actually. The Hot and Fit moment of the week.
I wasn’t going for time (doesn’t look like I will be at all in the next few months) – just getting a distance in is a blessing.
So, I came across this Fitsugar post this week. It provides a Checklist For Running Below -1 C
I am actually distorting the title. It says “Checklist For Running Below 30 Degrees” but I do not speak Fahrenheit. I am European. Since I think it provided way too many layers, I changed it and made it as MY IDEAL CHECKLIST. The reason being that a) I cannot afford all that’s on the list at the moment and b) some of these goodies are not available at this side of the planet
- Start off with a proper sports bra
- Pull on a long-sleeved made of polyester.
- Good running socks are to be placed on your feet. I use Nike. Fitsugarrecommends wicking socks that go up to your knee to keep your calves warm. Read the next point to see why I don’t follow that
- Wear warm running tights on your legs. Yes, my tights are very, very good (again, thank you, Runners Point. Was worth every Euro) No need for those knee – high socks
- Over the long-sleeve shirt, wear a fitted wind-stopping softshell. Although I have my Brooks jacket, I am not entirely sure how good it is.
- Running gloves will protect your hands. I nearly got some fabulous Nike ones during my shopping spree in Deutschland however I discovered my shirt’s sleeves convert to gloves. Really, couldn’t ask for more.
- Definitely wear a hat, or some sort of band that covers your ears. This is so important!!!
- Lip balm. I mean, I sleep with mine under the pillow. Of course it’s going to be running with me.
- Tissues. Seriously, I keep a pack in my pocket
- Some good running sneakers. Pretty obvious. I wouldn’t recommend going barefoot.
- When it’s icy, slip on a set of Yaktrax Pro on your sneaks. I actually contacted the distributor in my country last week, and for some reason they have not gotten back to me. Yet.
- iPod/iPhone and earphones
anything else you’d add? or anything on this list you find utterly ridiculous?