Ahhh, the Winter Blues.
Despite the fact that I am currently involved in The Hot and Fit movement, I am affected by this crappy weather. As I previously stated, I was born to live in warm climates (the country I was born in averages 35C during the summer, 15C during the winter. Oh, and the beach is 5 KM away from my house).
If you are like me, you probably notice some changes when winter comes. Carbohydrates are calling your name. Its like the cake is screaming “EAT ME!!”. I think females have more of a thing for anything which involves some sort of dough. As in pastries. At least I do.
So why does this happen?
- Because the cold creates a need for our body. Need – for – heat. Eating, especially warm foods, is one way to do so.
- Because of the tendency to shut ourselves in the house and curl up on the couch. preferably with blankets. A natural consequence is usually a decline in physical activity (might as well be a couch potato), following seasonal depression, sending us to grab some food
- Because of short daylight hours. Argh, this is almost as bad as the cold. Much more depressing though. Research shows that the number of light hours we have in a day may affect our metabolic response and our desire to consume a diet rich in fat and sucrose.
So what do we do?
- Eat your summer foods, only in winter style: i.e. HEAT THEM UP! Instead of fruits and vegetables in cold salads, ate steamed vegetables and baked fruit. Instead of eating cold sandwiches try making it into a healthy toast.
- Drink water. Something I definitely need to work on
- The obvious: Eat foods that contain complex carbohydrates. This is probably the most important thing I have learned.
I do wish I could be hanging out in St. Barts like this girl:
Gwen Stefani for you. Another celebrity The Hot and Fit appreciates for her music as well as for her diet talk.
In 2007 she told Harper’s Bazaar:
“I hate talking about it, but it’s true. I’ve always been on a diet, ever since I was in the sixth grade. It’s an ongoing battle and it’s a nightmare. But I like clothes too much, and I always wanted to wear the outfits I would make. And I’m very vain.”
Spoken like a true Hot and Fit!